Friday, January 2, 2009

Quit smoking - Woohoo!!!

November 13, 2007

Today was finally the day. I've tried to quit so many times and it never worked. I had previously tried Wellbutrin twice with no luck and adverse reactions. This time I decided to use Chantix, since I had heard good things about it.

I started taking Chantix mid-September. I knew one of the side effects was flatulence. It also caused constipation. I figured this would be temporary so it would be worth it given that I'd be quitting smoking.

By the first week of November, I was smoking only 2 cigarettes a day. (It wasn't easy, but I do think that Chantix took the edge off.) The next week, I was able to quit. By this time, I felt so terrible I can't even explain it. I was able to make it about 10 days and I stopped taking Chantix. I had become terribly depressed and was snapping at my family. I was extremely disappointed that the flatulence and constipation did not disappear after going off it.

The flatulence and constipation is still a problem. I ended up going to a homeopathic pharmacy to get some help. I was told I needed to replace stomach acid, which would mean taking Betaine with meals (you can find lots of info on Betaine on the Internet) and increasing with each meal. In hindsight I guess it makes sense that Chantix would neutralize stomach acid and that would explain why the side effects would be flatulence and constipation.

I tried Betaine and nothing so far has helped. I'm going to take it again this week and hope and pray that it will work to get my stomach to produce its own acid.

The good news is, I am still not smoking. I am not so sure that I would recommend Chantix, though. If there is any chance you can do it on your own, do it!!! and I never want to go through that H*ll again!!

No comments:

Post a Comment