Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Mineral Powder Foundation

If you missed Doctor Oz last night, you really missed a good one about cosmetics. Let me back up a bit. About 6 months ago, my husband came home to a blank file folder laying on his side of the bed (behind my make-up vanity). As I was putting on my mineral powder foundation, I started wondering if it had been contributing to the sinus drip I'd had for a couple years. Then I thought about breathing it into my lungs. Then I wondered if mineral foundation was contributing to lung cancer of the so many I'd heard had never even smoked. Then I went into my office and got a file folder. I proceeded to hold my breath, put on the foundation and then fan the area to get the fine, flying particles away from my face so I would no longer be breathing them in. And boy was I glad I did this after learning what I did last night!

Back to Doctor Oz... Doctor Oz explained how there are absolutely no guidelines for making cosmetics. The "intended" ingredients are supposed to be listed. Any scary ingredients do not have to be listed if they were bi-products and not "intended".

Doctor Oz called mineral foundation an "aerosolized product". Which, if you've ever used it, you can understand that it is just like spraying an aerosol can. The "nanoparticles" are everywhere. Once they are breathed into the lungs, they scar the lungs and we can not expel them. He thinks we will see the damage of these products in 10 - 30 years. He said, "if you are using these products, STOP."

Today that file folder is going back into the office and I'm switching back to a heavy liquid foundation. It won't feel as nice and light, but I think I'll thank myself down the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment